Friday, February 10, 2012

It is DONE







I was asked my a family friend to make a cake for their youngest daughter's wedding. I was pretty excited to do another wedding cake, it's been a few months:) Then she pulled out the picture and my wheels started their turnin'. I really prefer not to hear about a cake too far in advance because I stew about it. I lose sleep thinkin' about all the aspects of building it. (dumb, I know) Anyway, it turned out that it was good to have a heads up on this one. I started to build that huge flower out of gumpaste. I thought I would just add a few petals each day. As I began, I had to figure out something that would anchor it to the cake. I found a cake flower spike and built the center of the flower onto it. cool. Then, as I added petals, it started to feel REALLY heavy. YIKES. I stewed about that for a few days. Then, the idea to do all the petals separately came. Okay. But how to stick them to the fondant....found a recipe for a meringue powder glue. cool. I was back on track. I made 36 of the petals and the center of the flower. They dried rock hard and were all done 2 weeks before the cake was due. Ahhh. Then, I started worrying bout the fondant. It had to be PERFECT because any flaw would show on this cake. I discovered a lade online that answered ALL my hangups. She is my hero. She invented this double layer mat that you can roll out the fondant inside. It keeps the fondant moist (avoiding the elephant skin look) and enables you to roll it out 1\2 as thick so it isnt as heavy on the cake. You can actually transport the fondant to the cake while it is still stuck to the mat. No more worrying about positioning it wrong or tearing it in transfer. It was only $18 for the mat and TOTALLY worth it! So, that's the story. It was a beautiful day. I got to go to the temple with Tom and soak up the fabulous day. Love a happy ending...for a cake:) This is the response from the bride's mom:

Karen, Thank You so much for the cake. It turned out so beautiful, and so many people commented on how pretty it was. Someone even asked if we tried to coordinate it with the style of Mallory's dress!! Also, it was delicious. The banana layer was my favorite. Aaron's sister said it was so good that she actually had 3 slices! One funny thing that happened....when they cut the cake, Aaron took off the entire funfetti layer, cut it in half, and each of them held half the layer and "fed" each other! At first I was thinking...oh no.... I hope we have enough cake left for the guests! No problem, we had plenty and even brought some home!

Love it! The groom requested the funfetti layer. I was nervous about that because I make my cakes from scratch and have gotten away from store bought mixes. Glad he made the most of it:) Ha ha! The other layers were chocolate cake with white chocolate cream cheese mousse filling, white cake with blueberry\raspberry mousse filling, banana cake with bavarian cream filling. Supa!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

wuv, wuv, wuv it! will you make me a nummy cake for my bday next year?!??!