Thursday, October 17, 2013

Roses, Roses

There was a couple who got married and never had a reception. She had always wanted a "traditional" wedding, but they couldn't afford it. Our ward came together and put on a beautiful celebration for them. It was really cool to see what we could throw together from what we each had stashed away. I got to make this cake, which turned out to be a tough task. I made a red velvet cake. It was perfect. Moist, etc. I thought I needed to pair that with cream cheese frosting. BAD IDEA. It was so sticky and hard to smooth out. It took me hours. I kept refrigerating it between smoothings and it just wouldn't cooperate. So the top layer took HOURS. The bottom layer took 5 minutes. It looks fab. Love the roses technique. I actually ordered red fondant from Sweetwise, because it is sooooo hard to color fondant that color. I learned, though, that by using lecethin, it will help to keep the color more vibrant. I also used a new silicone mold for the pearl border. By adding tylose powder to my fondant, it made the fondant less stretchy and they came right out of the mold. I love how they turned out and are edible. It also worked for making the gumpaste flowers from fondant. It dried hard. Not as hard as gumpaste itself, but good enough. Lastly, I bought a new toy. It is a brush that applies the shimmer dust to the flowers. It contains the powder in it, so it doesn't make a mess. LOVE IT.




No comments: